September 30, 2011

Top 5 Makeup Products

1.) Urban Decay's Naked Palette
The Naked Palette has become one of the most sought-after products in the beauty industry. It is always in constant demand because it is a high quality palette and sold for a very reasonable price. There are 12 shades in an attractive faux-velvet case, complete with mirror and a brush, and prices range from £28 to £35. The palette is available from Debenhams and House of Fraser (occasionally you're required to go on a waiting list to buy it), however it is sometimes available on eBay for much higher prices - and people will pay them!
The shades are a highly pigmented mixture of shimmery and matte, and they range from natural, nude shades to dark browns and greys. Many looks can be created with the palette - it does everything from barely-there to work-appropriate to dramatic smoky looks for Friday nights!
This is one of the best products I've ever used - I've had mine for 4 months and I use it every day, so far I've barely made a dent in it! Definitely the best £30 I've ever spent.


2.) Soap & Glory Hocus Focus Visual Flaw Softening Lotion

Soap & Glory's Hocus Focus is described as an "instant flaw softening lotion with long-wearing lightscramble lumishperes". In everyday terms, it is essentially a lightly shimmery lotion which can be applied either straight on to the face or mixed with foundation/tinted moisturiser to add a subtle glow to the skin. The texture is lovely - soft and creamy with a pearlised effect, and it has a nice fragrance. When applied to the skin it illuminates as well as softens, and makes the skin look dewy and glowing. It also evens out skin tone and hides any blemishes or minor flaws. Sold at stores such as Boots and asos.com at £13 for 30ml, this product is also really good value for money - a little goes a long way so the bottle lasts a good while, and looks great on my dressing table!


3.) MAC Russian Red Lipstick


MAC is my all-time favourite brand for lipstick. I have quite dry skin and lips, so I always find these lipsticks really nourishing as well as highly-pigmented and long-lasting. Russian Red is the perfect red lipstick, in my opinion - it is a classic pillar box red, so it has a timeless quality and the ability to suit all skin tones. I've tried my fair share of red lipsticks, but I had never been able to find a true red; I usually end up with shades that are either too dark, such as brick reds, or too pale. Russian Red is exactly what I've been looking for, and at £13.50 for 3g - which, again, lasts ages! - it is a great product and excellent value.


4.) L'Oreal True Match Foundation

As with lipstick, it took me a while to find a foundation which both suited my skin tone and nourished my dry, sensitive skin. L'Oreal's True Match is a liquid foundation which claims to work with your natural skin tone to achieve a shade that's personal to you. I definitely think it works for me - I use one of the palest shades and it glides on easily and blends really well. I like to go for a matte effect on my skin, and True Match does this, while still giving my skin a radiance which I have never had with any other foundation. Prices range from £8 to £9.99 for 30g, it doesn't break the bank, and I'm always willing to pay extra for a product that really works!


5.) Maybelline Falsies Mascara


Mascara is always a tricky product to judge when buying. Many brands promise different things, and, because everyone's lashes are different, finding the right one for you can be a long and expensive process! However, Maybelline's Falsies Mascara is the perfect mascara for me. It promises length and volume, with high colour payoff, and it definitely delivers on all of these. At £8 it is about average for a high street brand mascara, but for me this is a bargain because it suits my lashes and is adaptable for both everyday wear and nights out. I use the waterproof version in Black, and my only criticism would be that it isn't the easiest mascara to shift at night, although this might be down to my makeup remover rather than the mascara. I have naturally long lashes anyway, but with 2 layers they are noticeably larger and thicker, without clumps or flaking. The product lasts all day and the waterproof version is especially good value for money because it also prevents the mascara from running. A great product which I will buy again!


Gill :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment